If someone took the time out to explain HD brows to me I still wouldn’t get them. There are going to be many girls who’ll look back at photos of their HD eyebrows in a few years time and ask why nobody stopped them.
Still, there’s nothing quite as ageing as narrow, patchy eyebrows that have suffered years of plucking. I can vividly remember advice from an old work colleague when I was in my 20’s and she was in her 40’s, imploring me not to over-pluck as “they just don’t grow back”.
My collection of eyebrow-enhancers seems to be growing at a fierce pace so I thought I’d share my positive and negatives for each product.
- Clear mascara. If you have enough eyebrow to shape, clear mascara is enough to keep them groomed all day. This Rimmel tube is available everywhere and is inexpensive, easy to use and effective. My most used eyebrow product.
- Eyebrow pencil. Cheap and easy to use. Fills in the spaces. The original eyebrow makeup. I find it a bit of a struggle getting the colour and tone to match and it does wear off (on me?) more quickly but I’ll admit to having eyebrow pencils in most of my bags for the ultimate quick touch up. Remember your sharpener.
- Kiko Eyebrow coloured mascara. Easy to use (short outward strokes) fills the gaps and shapes your brow at the same time. I’ve bought two separate shades but one is too red and the other not-quite-right. And I’ve been a little over zealous on a couple of occasions and needed some swift action with a cotton bud to sort out the mess!
- Benefit brows. Certainly the most expensive of the products in the image. But is has lasted an absolute age (the packing is completely different now). With a separate powder and wax, 2 little brushes and tweezers in a mirrored case this product is the closest in match to my eyebrow colour, and really does fill and shape. The wax is used after the powder to help it stay put. If you’re investing in something like this, visit the counter first and get someone to show you how.
- Stila All Day Waterproof Brow Colour. This is my new favourite. I was tempted to try it because it’s ‘waterproof’ and lasts ‘all day.’ As it’s a brush tip, the end result is natural and not overdone. I find it really easy to use and it does last without the need for top ups.